Since today is National Chocolate Chip Day, I thought it would be a good time to post the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip bars that I made recently! These cookie bars are chewy and full of texture…and the rolled oats add iron, thiamine, and fiber (which we know reduces cholesterol!). I set out out make them for the kidlets as a special breakfast treat, knowing they are getting bored with the same old, before-school breakfast of cereal. They loved them! I used less chocolate chips (1 cup) because they were going to be for breakfast, but if you want to make them more chocolatey, use up to 2 cups of chocolate chips.
(Chewy) Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup gran. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
3 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned oats)
6 to 12 oz. -or- 1 – 2 cups chocolate chips*
*I used 1 cup of dark chocolate chips, but like I said these were a breakfast treat. If you are making them as a sweet snack or dessert, you might want to use more chips. Next time I think I’d use semi-sweet chips, but I had the dark chocolate chips on hand so that’s what I used. Go with your taste and preference!
(Preheat oven to 350 degrees)
1. Cream softened butter, both sugars, egg, and vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer.
2. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. Stir in oats.
4. Add chocolate chips and combine well. You may need to use your hands for this!
5. Press dough into a greased 9×13 pan. (I lined mine with parchment paper so I could just lift the whole thing out of the pan to cut it up after it cooled, rather than grease my pan.)
6. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, until lightly golden and set in the middle.
7. Cool 20 min. in pan. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Tammy’s Recipes.